20 Killed In Explosion During Ceasefire Celebration In Afghanistan

1
78

Kabul (June 16, 2018): A car bomb ripped through a gathering of Taliban and Afghan security officials meeting to celebrate the end of Ramazan fasting season, with 2o casualties being reported in the eastern city of Nangarhar on Saturday, officials said.

Attaullah Khogyani, the spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar, confirmed a car bomb was responsible for the attack in the town of Ghazi Aminullah Khan, on the main Torkham-Jalalabad road. He had earlier said a rocket-propelled grenade was to blame.There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. The Taliban announced a surprise three-day ceasefire over the Eid holiday, which began on Friday, except against foreign forces. It overlaps with an Afghan government ceasefire which lasts until Wednesday.

President Ashraf Ghani said in an address to the nation that he would extend the ceasefire with the Taliban but did not give a time-frame. He also asked the Taliban to extend their three-day ceasefire, which is due to end on Sunday.Taliban wearing traditional headgear entered Kabul through gates in the south and southeast. Traffic jams formed where people stopped to take pictures of the fighters with their flags. The Taliban urged people to come forward and take selfies.

“They are unarmed, as they handed over their weapons at the entrances,” Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanekzai said. Their weapons would be returned when they leave, he said.

Related News:

Blast At Mosque Take 17 Lives In Afghanistan

TTP Chief Mullah Fazlullah Killed In Afghanistan

Originally Posted on Abbtak Tv

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here