Web Desk(February 21, 2018): The actor George Clooney and his wife, Amal, a human rights lawyer, said that they would donate $500,000 to a nationwide protest against gun violence planned next month by teenage survivors of a Florida high school shooting, on Tuesday.
In a statement, the couple said they were “so inspired by the courage and eloquence of these young men and women” from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. The police say the suspect — a 19-year-old former student, Nikolas Cruz — killed 17 people on a rampage with a semiautomatic weapon there last week.
“Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country,” the Clooney said. “And in the name of our children, Ella and Alexander, we’re donating 500,000 dollars to help pay for this groundbreaking event.”
“Our children’s lives depend on it,” they added.
After the Clooney made their announcement, other Hollywood leaders said they would match their donation to help the March for Our Lives, including the producer Jeffrey Katzenberg and his wife, Marilyn, Oprah Winfrey, and Steven Spielberg and his wife, Kate Capshaw.
In announcing their $500,000 donation, Mr Spielberg and Ms Capshaw said, “The young students in Florida and now across the country are already demonstrating their leadership with a maturity that belies their ages.”
Mr and Mrs Clooney’s announcement came six months after they donated $1 million, through their Clooney Foundation for Justice, to the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit organization in Montgomery, Ala., that tracks extremist groups.
Stan Rosenfield, a spokesman for Mr Clooney, said the couple’s donation was made by them personally and did not come from their foundation.