On July 16, Indian troops had targeted an Army vehicle moving along the Neelum River at Athmuqam. The attack had resulted in the martyrdom of four Pakistan Army soldiers and injury to one. A civilian had also lost his life in the attack.
“The vehicle fell into the river and four soldiers embraced martyrdom in the Line of Control ceasefire violation,” said the ISPR.
The attack was similar to an earlier assault on a civilian bus in the same area last year, according to the army’s media wing.
According to an Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) press release, DGMO Maj Gen Sahir Shamshad Mirza “emphasised the importance of controlling tactical actions of under-command troops, since these indiscretions can potentially spiral [into] major standoffs.”
He added that: “Such acts have the potential to escalate, which then will be extremely detrimental to peace and stability.”
“While we don’t want to go down the path where we start choking each other’s supply lines; however, any such recurrence will invoke more strong and effective measures from Pakistan’s side,” Pakistan’s DGMO warned.
Earlier this year in June, during a National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Kashmir Affairs meeting, the director general of the Disaster Management Authority had said that unprovoked firing by Indian forces across the LoC had taken 832 lives, while 3,000 people had been injured and 3,300 houses had been damaged.