Lionel Messi is undoubtedly one of the greatest footballers in the world. His skills are amazing and have won him accolades in the football world.
Here are eight facts about the Argentinian football maestro.
1. The Argentinian was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency at a young age. He signed with FC Barcelona and moved to Spain at the age of 13 and the football club agreed to pay for his treatment, according to his contract.
2. He made his debut for FC Barcelona on November 16, 2003.
3. He has the won the European Golden Shoe award in four seasons — 2009-10, 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2016-17.
4. Messi set the all-time record for most goals scored in a single season for a major European football league with 73 goals.
5. He won the Golden Ball award for the best player of the 2014 World Cup.
6. The Argentinan star is the founder of the Leo Messi Foundation, which aims to improve healthcare and education for children.
7. Messi was named a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
8. He was placed No 2 in Forbes’ list of highest paid athletes.