Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was sent packing on Friday as the Supreme Court of Pakistan (SC) disqualified him, directing the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) to issue a notification in this regard. The historic verdict was reserved a week ago. Today, all five judges of the bench gave a unanimous verdict against Nawaz. Here are 10 things that you should know about today’s historic verdict:
– Nawaz Sharif has been disqualified by the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
– Ishaq Dar and Captain (retd.) Mohammad Safdar were also disqualified.
– The Supreme Court has ordered the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to file references against Nawaz Sharif, Ishaq Dar and Captain Safdar within 6 weeks and to decide these cases within 6 months. References are also to be filed against Mr Sharif’s children.
– The Supreme Court has ordered that all documents regarding Sharif family’s London flats should be sent to trial court for the hearing of reference.
– The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) will issue the notification regarding Mr Sharif’s dismissal.
– The Accountability Court should announce its verdict regarding the reference in six months.
– The Court stated President Mamnoon Hussain should take the democratic process forward according to the constitution.
– The Supreme Court bench ordered the National Accountability Bureau to take further action if anymore false documents surface.
– The verdict was announced after a delay of over a half an hour.
– Nawaz Sharif has been banned from playing politics for his entire life.
Story first published: 28th July 2017