IHC Proposes Taking Agreement with Faizabad Protesters to Parliament

0
9

Islamabad (December 04, 2017): The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Monday proposed the government to take the agreement between the Faizabad protestors and government to joint session of the Parliament for debate.

A single member bench of IHC headed by Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui heard the case relating to Faizabad sit-in.

Click Play Button to Watch this Video 

[embedded content]

During the hearing, the judge continued censuring the government over the agreement signed with the protesters after a botched police operation.Justice Siddiqui remarked the state of Pakistan surrendered to the sit-in protesters at Faizabad.

Justice Siddiqui observed that the state kneeled before the protesters and not a single clause of the agreement between the government and the religious group was according to the Constitution.

“We have to see the legal standing of this agreement,” Justice Siddiqui noted.

On the court order, Chief Commissioner Islamabad and IB submitted report in the court.  Attorney General told the court that Supreme Court had already taken suo motu notice in the matter. He pleaded the court to suspend further proceeding for the matter being pending in SC.

Upon this Justice Siddiqui remarked that the SC had not issued restraining order and direction to suspend the proceeding. However, he added in respect of the Supreme Court the IHC will not give its decision on the case, but the hearing will continue.

The judge while addressing the AGP said “Attorney General Sahib please must have some pity on the country. Please get stop issuing of Fatwas from mosques and seminaries declaring people as infidels. The judge cautioned that if the process of Fatwa was not stopped no one life will be safe in this country.

He remarked that the copy of the agreement should be presented in the joint session of the parliament. He said that the joint session should hold debate over the agreement and find out as to who proposed Army Chief to act as mediator.

Justice Siddiqui remarked that he would not let this case be disposed off if the loss of police was not compensated.

He questioned that if he was injured by the protesters how can the state sign an agreement on his behalf.

Attorney-General Ashtar Ausaf Ali asked the court to give him some time to submit a detailed report on the case. He said that the ministries were estimating the damage incurred by the state due to vandalism by the protesters.

The court adjourned further hearing till January 12, 2017.Earlier, in its written order on November 27, the court had observed that it had serious reservations on the terms and mannerism of the agreement reached between the federal government and the protesters at Faizabad to end the sit-in.

The director-general of the Intelligence Bureau (IB) was directed to submit a report on how the protesters of the sit-in procured guns, tear gas shells and masks to protect themselves from the police.

The IB chief was further instructed to submit a report showing the reasons for the failure of the operation.

The court also directed the chief commissioner to submit a report on the conduct of the operation and reasons for its failure.

Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal had been summoned in the hearing on November 27 on a contempt notice over the government’s failure to implement court orders directing the shifting of the Faizabad protest to the Parade Ground.

It is to be mentioned here that workers of a religious party had been protesting against the government at Faizabad Interchange of the capital for around three weeks, bringing the capital to a standstill for over 20 days.

Related News 

Sit-in: IHC Asks Commissioner to Submit Copy of Agreement

AC Adjourns Hearing of Cases Against Nawaz, Maryam Till 1pm

Originally Posted on Abbtak TV

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here