TEHRAN: Iranian state television claimed that at least 80 “American terrorists” were killed in attacks involving missiles attack Tehran launched on US targets in Iraq, adding that none of the missiles were intercepted.
The claim could not be independently verified and the state television did not provide evidence of how it obtained that information.
Citing a senior Revolutionary Guards Corps source, the state television also said Iran had 100 other targets in the region in its sights if Washington took any retaliatory measures.
It also said US helicopters and military equipment were “severely damaged”.
Earlier, Iran launched thirty missiles at two Iraqi bases that hold US troops in what appears to be retaliation for the American airstrike that killed a top Iranian general last week, the Pentagon said Tuesday.
A US official said that there were no initial reports of any US casualties, but an assessment of the impact of the strikes is underway.
For the first time, Iran claimed responsibility for the attack, with state TV saying it had launched missiles on the base.
There are casualties among the Iraqis at Ain al-Asad airbase following the attack, an Iraqi security source said.
The number of casualties and whether the individuals were killed or wounded was not immediately clear.
The White House said in a separate statement that President Donald Trump was “monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.”