The Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication (MoITT) has issued a special advisory, saying that potential and intended threats to Cyber Security exist which pose a concern for national security.
The special advisory- information/cyber security stated that “It has come to our knowledge that potential and intended threats to Cyber Security exist which pose a concern for national security. There is an urgent need to undertake a holistic review of information systems and sensitize Ministries/Divisions to safeguard against any leakage of classified information.
Senior government officials holding sensitive portfolios and dealing with national security matters are advised to do the following:
- Smart phones should be strictly forbidden in official meetings especially involving discussions on sensitive matters affecting national security.
- No classified information be shared on Whatsapp or similar application.
- Passage of sensitive/classified information via insecure email, plain fax or any other insecure means should be discouraged.
- Commonly available data storage devices are a source of security vulnerability resulting in loss/ hacking of official data. They may be used under exceptional cases.
- Meeting/ conference rooms where sensitive matters are discussed should be TEMPEST proof.
- Regular electronic sweeping of offices, residences, meeting/conference rooms against possible bugs should be ensured. Special electronic sweeping should be ensured prior to sensitive meetings/discussions.
- Screening of gifts/souvenirs presented by visiting dignitaries be done to rule out the presence of any bug. No official gift be placed in sensitive places without due clearance of the screening process.
- Any ICT equipment/solution, especially of foreign origin/OEM for potential use in offices, must be cleared from NITB.
- Special care be exercised with respect to communication on smartphones near foreign missions’ compounds (Cellular network be used), use of WiFi hot spots, smart TV devices, FTTH/ smart cable TV, NW printers/ scanners and vehicles equipped with datacomm devices/ onboard smart devices.
- CCTV networks installed at sensitive locations should not be connected either on the internet or on cloud-based service. Their networks must remain standalone and isolated.
- Timely sharing of information about security breaches be done with the National Information Technology Board for remedial measures and analysis.
The post Ministry of IT Issues Advisory About Cyber Security Risks appeared first on .