Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) chief Farooq Sattar has rejected the results of the census carried out earlier this year, describing them as “fake”.
Speaking at the Karachi Press Club on Tuesday, the MQM-P leader said injustice with Karachi was tantamount to meting out injustice to the entire country.
He added that the census results were not only alarming for the MQM-P but for every person living in Sindh. “The province’s population has deliberately been shown less than what it actually is,” he claimed.
“The people living in Sindh are being treated as second-class citizens,” the MQM-P leader maintained. “They are being denied their legal and financial rights.”
Reiterating that Mohajirs were being pushed against the wall, Sattar said his party would approach the Supreme Court against the “misrepresented” census results.
On Monday, the Pakistan People’s Party, the ruling party in Sindh, had also rejected the census results. In a policy statement, the Sindh government announced that it would convene an all parties conference on the issue.
Parliamentary Minister Nisar Ahmed Khuhro, in the statement, said a conspiracy was hatched by the federal government to show that the population of Sindh was less what it really was. “This aims at reducing Sindh’s share in the National Finance Commission as well as national and provincial assembly seats and job quota in federal government services,” he said, adding that the PPP government in Sindh will not accept this conspiracy.
Earlier, nationalist parties in Sindh too had claimed that the province’s population had deliberately been shown less to gain political mileage.