ISLAMABAD: Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, who was disqualified by the Supreme Court over undeclared assets, resumed his ‘homegoing’ rally from Rawalpindi’s Katchery Chowk on Thursday.
On Wednesday, thousands of people attended the rally in support of the deposed premier as he embarked on the show of political power following the last month’s damning apex court verdict. Nawaz launched the so-called ‘caravan’ procession from Islamabad to his hometown of Lahore, despite the concerns of advisers about security.
The deposed PM’s rally will continue to march in the federal capital’s territory for four kilometres before entering the Punjab territory again, sources told The Express Tribune. “The capital city administration has deployed 600 policemen and 200 Frontier Corps personnel for the rally’s security,” sources added.
The rally will have overnight stops in Jhelum and Gujranwala before reaching Lahore either on Friday or Saturday. For this purpose, PML-N MNAs in both cities have been instructed to make arrangements to accommodate a large number of people.
Nawaz, 67, resigned during his third stint as prime minister after the Supreme Court ruled on July 28 that he should be disqualified and ordered a criminal probe into his family over allegations stemming from the “Panama Papers” leaks of international offshore companies.
Nawaz, in recent meetings with party leaders, lawyers and the media, has expressed his displeasure over the court ruling. He has said no corruption charges had been proved, and it was unfair to disqualify him on the grounds of not having declared a salary from his son’s Dubai-based company among a list of assets submitted ahead of the 2013 elections that brought him to power.
The post Nawaz’s ‘homegoing’ rally resumes journey to Lahore appeared first on The Express Tribune.