KARACHI: A shocking incident took place early Thursday morning when robbers barged into the house of senior journalist Abul Hasanat in North Nazimabad and took away the family’s valuables.
Sindh IG Allah Dino Khawaja and Home Minister Sohail Anwar Siyal have taken notice of the incident. Details have been sought from DIG West Zulfiqar Ali Larik while IG Khawaja has asked the SSP to submit an inquiry report.
According to Hasanat’s son, Sibte, two men stood outside while three others entered the house when their driver opened the gate to get the car out. He said that the three men, who barged into the house, held the family at gunpoint and looted their valuables. “They held my little daughter at gunpoint,” said Sibte. “They took away all the cash and jewellery in the house along with our laptops and notebooks.” Meanwhile, he added that the robbers did not take away any of their mobile phones.
On January 25, another CCTV footage of a robbery emerged. In the video, three robbers on a motorcycle could be seen stealing a man’s cellphone and his motorcycle on gunpoint.
Before escaping, one of the robbers points the gun towards the scared citizen who has been robbed and threatens him before fleeing.
In August last year, Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi said the federal government was concerned over the recent surge in street crimes in Karachi, which could compromise the gains made through sustained efforts during last four years.
Chairing a meeting on law and order situation here at the Governor House, the prime minister had stressed the need for activating all intelligence resources to contain the alarming trend. He was assured at the meeting that peace and tranquility in Karachi would be maintained at all costs.
Sindh Governor Muhammad Zubair and Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah, Federal Minister for Interior Ahsan Iqbal, Corps Commander Karachi, Chief Secretary Sindh, DG Rangers Sindh, IG Sindh and other senior government officials were present during the meeting.
Story first published: 22nd February 2018