Washington (August 01, 2017): White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci has been removed after less than 10 days in the post.
The former Wall Street financier had drawn criticism after calling a reporter to give a profanity-laced tirade against his colleagues.
United States President Donald Trump’s chief of staff Reince Priebus and spokesman Sean Spicer both left their posts with his appointment.
The decision was made by Mr Trump’s new chief of staff, Gen John Kelly, who was sworn in on Monday. It’s the latest high-profile departure from the Trump White House. Chief of Staff Reince Priebus resigned at the end of last week, replaced by John Kelly, whose first day is Monday.
“Anthony Scaramucci will be leaving his role as White House Communications Director,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement Monday afternoon. “Mr. Scaramucci felt it was best to give chief of staff John Kelly a clean slate and the ability to build his own team. We wish him all the best.”
A White House official said Kelly wanted Scaramucci removed from his new role as the communications director because he did not think he was disciplined and had burned his credibility.
Sanders told reporters Monday that all White House staff will report to Kelly. “Gen. Kelly has the full authority to operate within the White House, and all staff will report to him,” she said. When pressed further whether staffers including Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump and Steve Bannon will all report to Kelly, Sanders said: “That includes everybody at the White House.”
Scaramucci is the third White House communications director to leave the post that had been vacant since late May, when Mike Dubke left after about three months on the job. Sean Spicer, the former White House press secretary, also assumed some of the communications director role before he resigned when Scaramucci was hired July 21.
Scaramucci’s departure comes days after he unleashed a vulgar tirade against two top White House officials in a conversation with a reporter.
Scaramucci suspected that Priebus was the leaker and slammed the former chief of staff.
In a comment that drew consternation from even some Republican lawmakers on Capitol Hill, Scaramucci slammed White House strategist Steve Bannon, a longtime Trump adviser, for what Scaramucci considered was trying to build his own brand from the White House.
Trump thought that Scaramucci’s comments to The New Yorker were inappropriate, Sanders told reporters on Monday.
“The President certainly felt that Anthony’s comments were inappropriate for someone in that position and he didn’t want to burden Gen. Kelly also with that line of succession,” she said during the White House news briefing.
Despite not always being a Trump supporter, Scaramucci entered the White House as someone with a long relationship with Trump, something others in the communications shop did not enjoy. In interviews during his brief tenure as a White House staffer, Scaramucci talked up his knowledge of Trump’s needs and his connection to the President.
Scaramucci, who advised Trump during the 2016 campaign, had hoped for an earlier post in the administration and began selling his hedge fund — SkyBridge Capital — in order to win a role. But that role was delayed for Scaramucci, who blamed Priebus and other establishment Republicans in the administration for blocking his entry.
Asked the same question, Sanders said: “He does not have a role at this time in the Trump administration,” Sanders said.