Colombo(August 30, 2017):The Sanath Jayasuriya-led National Cricket Selection Committee quit today after handing over their letter of resignation to the Sports Minister Dayasiri Jayasekera, calling the ugly incident that took place towards the end of Sunday’s third ODI against India in Pallekele as ‘the last straw’.
The committee comprising, Jayasuriya, Romesh Kaluwitharana, Ranjith Madurusinghe, Eric Upashantha and Cricket Manager Asanka Gurusinha were two months into a six-month extension which was to end in December.
In the letter, written on behalf of the committee, Jayasuriya said it was painful to see the fans reacting the way they did – throwing plastic bottles onto the field – with Sri Lanka heading towards another defeat.
“As a player who has represented the country at all levels and as a former Captain and currently Chairman of Selectors, last Sunday’s incident at the ground was the last straw,” the Chairman of Selectors wrote.
The Selection Committee’s policies had come under severe criticism for the team’s performances over the last year, having suffered embarrassing defeats in South Africa, and at home to Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and India.
Meanwhile, Lasith Malinga was handed over the captaincy for the fourth ODI in Colombo on Thursday, after stand-in Skipper Chamara Kapugedera was ruled out with an injury.
“Malinga will captain the team and since Dinesh Chandimal and Danushka Gunathilaka are both out, we have called up Dilshan Munaweera to the squad,” Jayasuriya told.