New Delhi: Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat has said that the cross-border surgical strike last year was a message to Pakistan and hinted at more strikes in the future if necessary.
General Rawat said, “The strikes were a message we wanted to communicate. I think they understood what we meant. These things could follow, if required.”
He was speaking after the launch of book ‘India’s Most Fearless’, along with former Army chief General Dalbir Singh (retd). General Rawat said that if the other side did not behave then the strikes would be repeated. He added that apart from surgical strikes there were also other measures of counteraction.
Click Play Button To Watch This Video
On September 29, India claimed to have conducted surgical strikes in Azad Kashmir, saying that several terrorists were killed in the military action conducted inside Pakistani territory.
The claims were not only rebuffed by Pakistan and the international media, but they also prompted demands from some Indian political leaders for New Delhi to substantiate it with evidence.
The Modi government drew criticism after the Pakistani military took a bus full of local and international journalists to the border area in order to show them the ground facts.
Furthermore, the United Nations said its mission tasked with monitoring the ceasefire line between India and Pakistan “has not directly observed” any cross-border surgical strike as claimed by India.